Monday, May 16, 2011

Leadville Training Week # 6 - Need for Speed

Week # 6 was highlighted by Saturday's running of the Ice Age 50 mile trail run.  The lessor story of the week was I slipped in a couple of light Fartlek runs leading up to the race.  It has become painfully obvious that I need to work on some speed work.  I have Grandmas Marathon in 5 weeks and if I am going to achieve my 8th consecutive year with a sub 3 hour marathon I have work to do.  The goals of getting faster and losing weight are complimentary.  I will add 1 moderate speed workout each week and strive to lose at least 10 pounds by June 18th.

I would gauge my current marathon pace to be @ 7:05-7:10, so getting down to 6:45 in 5 weeks is aggressive, but very doable.

Week # 6 in review - Weight Sunday = 220#
Monday - 8 Easy in AM
Tuesday - 8 Easy in AM / 6 Easy @ lunch / 12 Easy on TM in PM
Wednesday - 12 w/ light Fartlek in AM / 5 Easy @ lunch
Thursday - 6 w/ light Fartlek in AM / 5 easy @ lunch
Friday - 5 Easy + 1 mile walking @ 15% in AM
Saturday - 50 Mile Ice Age trail race - 7:47 = 12 OA
Sunday - 6 Recovery in AM

Total run miles = 123 in 11 runs

Nice week - I had fun this week

No comments:

Post a Comment