Wednesday, January 9, 2013

YMCA of Hades

I run my speed work on the treadmill in winter.  This is safety measure in Wisconsin.  I have 2 choices, the YMCA or my basement.

Monday night training plan was for an easy 20 minutes at LAT with a total mileage of 14.  I went to my local YMCA to pretend I am a social person.

I knew it was a mistake as soon as I stepped into the ATC (Aerobic Training Center).  It had to be 80F+ and the room was solid people.  I think all 40+ pieces of aerobic equipment were all full.

Before I could turn and bolt for home a treadmill opened up.  Ok, stop your bitching and get this done.  I tried to keep the pace easy, but honest ... before mile #4 I had sweat through shirt #1 ... I made it last to 5 miles. 

I only packed 2 shirts, so after a quick change it was time to get to the 20 @ T.  I picked a speed that was comfortable on my legs.  After 5 minutes it was still easy on my legs, but I guess it must be hard to do speed work in Hades, because my lungs felt like mile #2 of a 5k.  By 10 minutes I backed the speed down .1 MPH and gasped into the last 10 minutes.

Final result 9 miles with 20 minutes at T.

Maybe it was a combination of a lingering cold, the hot air and being out of shape.

If I decide to try speed work at the YMCA of Hades again - I think I will try in the morning ... before the new batch of lost souls of New Year Resolution arrive in the underworld.

I think the search for speed will be a long journey.

Good running to all -

1 comment:

  1. I tried to do hill repeats on an ice-covered trail this week. Bad idea, even without the dog attack! Still, no treadmills for me.

    ReplyDelete