Monday, September 17, 2012

Tweaked Achillies Tendon

Of course, not from running ...

I set up a monthly volleyball fellowship night at our church.  Our 1st time playing was September 9th - 1 week post BLS 24 hour race.  We had a great group and all had a good time - Playing some decent volleyball for a little over 2 hours.

The next day I woke up with 2 ailments - A very sore left glute muscle and tight IT band and a tweaked right achilles tendon.  The IT band is pretty easy to treat and will be a distant memory within 2 weeks.  The achillies tendon is always a struggle to heal. 

I tend to treat it with Ibuprofen, no speed work, keeping the leg muscles rolled out and a nightly series of hot / cold water soaking.  I get 2 - 5 gallon buckets:  One I fill with a bunch of ice and put water into, the other with water as hot as I can stand.  5 minutes in cold, then 5 in hot ... repeat for 1 hour if you have time.

If all goes well it is usually 2 weeks of sharp pain, 2 weeks of dull pain and 2 weeks of light to no pain, but not enough confidence to start speed work.  So 6 weeks of slow running on soft surfaces (TM and Dirt mainly).

3 comments:

  1. Good luck with that achilles! I've been dealing with it since February. Been taping it daily with KT Tape. Seems to be working, but I do notice my uphill running is labored on that right side from time to time. My left IT Band has been haunting me for over 4 years. Some days it likes me, some days it doesn't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the last 4-5 years any achillies issues have been acute = related to one athletic effort ~ Never running, but playing volleyball or racketball etc. It seems to heal in 6 weeks with the treatment I described.

    The protocol here for strengthening makes sense

    http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/achilles-tendon-injuries-a-full-guide-to-causes-symptoms-prevention-techniques-and-treatments-41361

    I generally just run easy for 4-6 weeks and definately no speed. If I am looking for a variety - a little trail running (Hills) I will chance that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeh, those exercises appear to be what any Physical Therapist might prescribe. My biggest issue is that I haven't strayed away from speed work nor pushing it harder in races. I've had some good results this year, but also a DNF/DNS. I'll live. Heal quickly!

    ReplyDelete