Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Gary Bjorkland 1/2 Marathon (June 16th)

I am running the Gary Bjorkland 1/2 marathon in Duluth, MN this weekend.  The race is part of Grandma's marathon weekend.  It is also the host of the 2012 USA National Championship 1/2 marathon.  The USA men start at 6:15am and the ladies will start at 6:25 ... I will be starting at 6:45 with the general masses.

The 1/2 Marathon Championship race has a strong field highlighted by Kara Goucher and Abdi Abdirahman.

http://grandmasmarathon.com/site/uploads/12%20Half%20Champ%20Athlete%20List.pdf

I also like Minnesotian Andrew Carlson, John Moen and Brett Gotcher.  I think at least 3 of these 4 will make top 5.

I do not know as much about the ladies, but I am always rooting for Dot McMahan - Originally from the area I now live in.

My race is a big question mark 13 days post FANS 24.  If I had run a really good FANS 24, I would be so beat up I would not be able to break 1:30 for the 1/2 Marathon.  But since I botched FANS big time, I might be able to run strongly.  I have not done any consistent speed work since May 2010, so a PR is not even in play (1:21:24 April 10).  I am thinking that breaking 1:25 would be nice and 1:24 nicer, but I fully realize that my legs are not recovered from FANS, so I will get what I get.

The real fun of Grandmas is to hang out with friends - This year I am very happy my wife will join in the fun and we can have a whole day to act young and foolish in the party atmosphere that engulfs Duluth for the weekend.

Good running to all!

2 comments:

  1. Enjoy the fun and get the most out of what the race offers you. Then go Run on the SHT and really offer some soul fixing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish that was a possibility ~ Father's day and all. Jill and I will be on the road before 8am Sunday.

    ReplyDelete