Wednesday, November 9, 2011

The Moneky is Dead

The Monkey is really alive ... and strong ... and ready to beat down all who dare to challenge the Monkey!  But the Monkey is dead to me for 2011.

I am a DNS for my favorite race - Harpeth Hills Flying Monkey Marathon - Nashville, TN.  The course is a little sadistic - 3,500 feet of ups - 3,500 feet of downs on pavement.  I do not love this course because it is a PR course, but because it is a worthy adversary. 

Year #1 - I went toe to toe with the Monkey and although the Monkey won (3:00:46), it was an epic satisfying battle.

Year #2 - The Monkey batted me around and stomped on me (3:17:16).

I was looking forward to getting revenge this year.  I feel I am in sub 3 "Monkey" shape and to me that would be a win vs. the Monkey.

The best part of the Monkey experience is drinking beer and socializing afterward with all my Monkey friends.  The party starts immediately after the race with the Peoples' Buffet - Basically it is a pot luck and all the runners (200 strong) bring something to share.  Beer starts flowing at noon - I guess there is a silly Tennessee law forbidding taping a keg before noon.  After a short reprieve, the festivities continue at a local bar and restaurant past midnight.  I always take Monday off to partake in the festivities.

About a week ago, my Boss told me we have an important meeting with out President & VPs to present our locations strategy of growth for the next 3-5 years.  This meeting is on Monday after Monkey. This meeting I want to be at, this meeting I have to be at.

A choice had to be made.  Do I drive 11 hours to Nashville Saturday, run the race Sunday and immediately pile in my car to drive 11 hours home ... or DNS Monkey.  To run the race and drive home would mean I would still be pretty worn out ... for sure not very sharp Monday morning, so the choice became easy.

Monkey DNS!

I work for a company that is very tolerant, actually really supportive of my running hobby.  They allows me great flexibility to fit in my training.  One little running sacrifice seems a pittance compared to what I get in return.

Good running to all -

1 comment: